Hero Indian Super League: FC Goa go down fighting 6-5 on aggregate

posted in Match Report by FC Goa Official on 7th March 2020

posted in Match Report

by FC Goa Official

on 7th March 2020

Hero Indian Super League: FC Goa go down fighting 6-5 on aggregate

FC Goa bowed out of the Indian Super League tonight, losing 6-5 to Chennaiyin on aggregate. The Gaurs put in a valiant effort, but shackled by a 4-1 loss to the Blues in the first leg, ISL shield champions ran out of legs in the end.

With a comeback to the script, FC Goa raced off the blocks. A foul on Coro at the edge of the box in the very first minute of the game marked the Gaur’s first big chance of the game.

Jahouh’s ball into the box from the ensuing free-kick though was dealt with by the Chennaiyin defence after a scuffle in the box.

The home side kept the pedal to the metal in the minutes following and they finally reaped the rewards for their unrelenting pressure in the 10th minute of the game. A quickly taken free-kick by Ahmed Jahouh set Jackichand Singh free on the right-hand side.

The fleet-footed Manipuri winger was the first to reach the ball and put in a fabulous cross from the byline. The cross was met by the onrushing Lucian Goian, who in an attempt to clear the danger, put the ball into the back of his own net.

With an early goal behind them, the Gaurs smelled blood and made it 2-0 11 minutes later. It was another free-kick at the heart of it all yet again. A brilliant ball from Brandon Fernandes was met with a thumping header from Mourtada Fall.

FC Goa kept the pressure up in the minutes to come and threatened time and again to score a decisive third goal. The Machans, though, held on to go into the break down only 2 goals.

The Gaurs remained on the front foot coming out of the tunnel and could have easily taken the lead within minutes of the restart. A brilliant ball from the right met with a run from Coro at the near post. The Spaniard did brilliantly to dummy it, leading the ball to the path of the onrushing Jackichand Singh.

The winger, however, couldn’t find the perfect touch to put it home.

A few minutes later, FC Goa were to pay for their missed chance as Chennaiyin got themselves the all-important away goal. A shot from the left-side of the box from Rafael Crivellaro was parried by Mohammad Nawaz before Lallianzuala Chhangte slotted it home.

The 59th minute of the game would spell heartbreak for the Gaurs as Chennaiyin grabbed their second. Nerijus Valskis rose highest from a corner to slot in his 14th of the season and give Chennaiyin a 3-goal lead in the tie.

The Gaurs, though, kept the spirits high and the 67th minute of the game presented the home side with a brilliant opportunity to take the lead. First, it was Coro, who saw his header from four yards out saved by Vishal Kaith before Manvir Singh’s shot on the rebound was cleared off the line.

A minute later, Manvir Singh would yet again find himself unlucky. This time, his glancing header from a cross from Brandon left Vishal Kaith stranded but came clattering off the upright.

FC Goa kept on coming, though and the 81st minute saw Edu Bedia make it 3-2 before Mourtada Fall nodded in his 2nd of the night a minute later to make it 4-2. In the injury time, Saviour Gama received his second yellow card as he was shown the marching orders.

The Gaurs kept fighting until the end but it wasn’t their day as Chennaiyin FC went through narrowly to book their place in the final. With this game, the Gaurs ended their season as the league winners and thus qualifying for the AFC Champions League.